Compare SIM Card Rental Services for Tourists in Japan
Although purchasing a prepaid SIM card is more common than renting one among foreign tourists, there are some benefits that only rental services offer. Moreover, some services' prices are competitive and could be much cheaper than the prepaid SIM cards. We suggest you to check those rental services and compare the pros and cons with prepaid SIM card services. You might find the one that suits your needs.
Advantages of Using Rental Services
|Phone Number/Voice Call||Few sellers offer voice SIM.||Global Advanced Communications and Softbank Global Rental offer the option.|
|Refund||No||CDJapan Rental and Sally's Rental do.|
- Activation of a SIM card is not required whereas a prepaid SIM card needs to be activated by users.
- Global Advanced Communications and Softbank Global Rental offer SIM cards that allows local and international calls.
- CDJapan Rental and Sally's Rental give a refund when user's device was not compatible with the SIM card. There are many devices that don't match the network in Japan. If you are not sure if your device is compatible with a SIM card in Japan, their refund service could be a safe option. None of prepaid SIM card brands will give a refund even if the device wasn't compatible with the SIM card.
*We try to keep the information updated, however, please check the latest information from each service's official website. Click on the service name and it is linked to their official website.
|Data Amount||Speed Restriction||Price||Top Up|
|Unlimited||After 500MB||1000 yen||Available|
|After 3GB||3500 yen|
|After 5GB||4500 yen|
|After 7GB||5500 yen|
- The additional costs on top of the data price on the list above are Daily Rental Fee 50 yen/day and Shipping Fee 890 yen.
- Delivery to Airport Post Offices, Hotels, Post Office Branches, and Residential Addresses. Picking up at Sakura Mobile Front Office in Shinjuku, Tokyo, is also possible.
- Data SIM cards only.
|Service Name||Data Amount||Voice Amount||Rental Period||Price|
|Android||Unlimited||Worth 1000 yen||Your choice||From 12,000 yen/1-7 days|
|iPhone5, 5s, 5c, and 6||From 8,800 yen/1-3 days|
|iPhone4, 4s||From 7,040 yen/1-3 days|
|iPad mini and iPad air||N/A||From 5,500 yen/1-3 days|
- Free delivery.
- Delivery to Airport Post Offices only. No delivery to Hotels, and other addresses.
- Only Android SIM card has unlimited tethering services.
- They offer packages with iPhone 5 and iPhone 4 device for the same prices as renting only the SIM card.
- Instruction Manuals are available in multi languages.
|Service Name||Data||Voice||Rental Period|
|iPhone 3/3S||0.32 yen/128bytes, Capped at 980 yen/day||With additional fee (e.g. 110 yen/min for local calls)||Your choice|
- The additional costs on top of the data price on the list above are Rental Fee 110 yen/day (minimum rental fee is 3 days) and Administration Fee 315 yen/contract.
- Only available at airport counters. (Not available at SoftBank shops in towns.)
|Service Name||Data Amount||Rental Period||Price||Top Up|
|Slow Speed Unlimited Data SIM Card Rental||Unlimited||Minimum 1 week. Rental fee is calculated weekly.||From 2205 yen/1-7 dayss||N/A|
|1GB Limited Data SIM Card Rental (High speed)||1GB||From 4935 yen/1-7 days||Available for 4200 yen/GB|
- Shipping Fee 1050 yen.
- Delivery to Airport Post Offices, Hotels and Office Addresses.
- Offers a Refund when user's device was not compatible (The user must inform them and the SIM must be returned on the first day).
|Data Amount||Rental Period||Speed Restriction||Price||Top Up|
|Unlimited||5/7/10/14/21/30/40/60/90 days, 6 months, and 1 year packages.||After 110MB/day||From 1700 yen/5 days||Extension packages are available|
- Shipping Fee 540 yen/order.
- Delivery to Airport Post Offices, Post Office Branches, Hotels/Office/Residential Addresses.
- Data SIM cards only.
- Offers a Refund when user's device was not compatible (the SIM must be returned within 2days).
If you're interested in prepaid SIM cards
Check our post Find the Prepaid SIM Card That Fits Your Needs!.